Nau mai, haere mai. On 1 October, Housing New Zealand joined HLC and KiwiBuild to form Kāinga Ora – Homes and Communities.

Information on this site is still current. For more information about Kāinga Ora visit the Kāinga Ora website.

Being a good neighbour

Published: 9 February 2017

Being a good neighbour is an important part of living in your community. We encourage all our tenants to act as good neighbours.

A good neighbour is:

  • considerate – respects people’s rights and privacy
  • tolerant – understands that people have different ways of doing things and that is okay
  • concerned – notices when something is wrong and does something about it
  • responsible – for the actions of their families, guests and pets
  • law abiding – does not engage in and reports illegal activity to the Police.

We would like you to:

  • talk things over when there are problems, listen to other people’s points of view, and try to come to an agreement that works for everyone
  • keep an eye on neighbours’ properties when they are away and report any suspicious activity
  • keep the noise coming from your place (music, parties, alarms, dogs, cars and so on) at a reasonable level, particularly at night
  • be tolerant of neighbours’ children playing outside
  • keep shared driveways clear
  • keep your section tidy.

Sorting out problems

Even if you usually get on well with your neighbours, there may be times when you disagree. First try speaking to your neighbour. Most problems can be solved by talking through them.

If the problem isn’t resolved, start writing down the details of the problem, including what happens and when it happens. This can help make it clear what is going on. Your notes will also be useful if you need to take the matter further.

If you can’t resolve the problem, you should report it to the proper authorities.

  • If you have problems with loud noise, call the Noise Control Office at your local council.
  • Illegal activity should be reported to the Police.
  • If you have problems with dogs, call the Animal Control Office at your local council.
  • If you think someone is in physical danger, particularly children, you should call the police immediately on 111.

If you do report a problem to the authorities, please also give us a call on 0800 801 601 to let us know about the issue.

What can Kāinga Ora do?

As we have a responsibility to the community, we don’t tolerate behaviour that interferes with the peace, comfort, privacy or safety of those living nearby.

Contact us if you need help with problems in your neighbourhood. We will work with you and anyone else involved to resolve the issue.


Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now