Eligibility for a Housing New Zealand house
To find out if you are eligible for a Housing New Zealand house or flat, the first step is to call us on 0800 801 601 and select Option 3 for Applications. You will then have a pre-assessment by a housing advisor to discuss your housing needs and your situation.
When assessing your eligibility we will need to check that you and members of your household:
- are New Zealand citizens or permanent residents
- have assets valued below a certain amount
- have an income that is less that one and a half times the appropriate rate of New Zealand Superannuation.
We will need to know about:
- your current living arrangements
- your housing needs
- your weekly household income
- how much you can afford to pay in rent
- your housing expenses.
If you don't agree with our decision about your eligibility, you can request a review.