If you live in a Housing New Zealand house or flat you can keep pets so long as you have checked with us and we've said yes.
Having a pet doesn't affect your application for housing, but it may limit the number and range of properties that are suitable for you.
If a pet that has been approved is a persistent nuisance or hazard we may cancel our agreement. In extreme cases, we can have pets removed from a tenant's property at their expense, or we can seek to end their tenancy.
Keeping a dog
Apart from certified hearing or sight dogs, you need to apply in writing to your local office to keep a dog at your Housing New Zealand house. We consider each application on a case-by-case basis. In your letter please include your name, address and the breed of dog.
If we approve your request you will need to sign an agreement showing that:
- the dog is registered
- the dog is kept within the property
- you take responsibility for the dog and ensure it doesn't disturb neighbours
- you will comply with all the legal obligations of a dog owner
- you will make sure the dog is tied up when we or our contractors visit
- you will have the dog removed if it becomes a nuisance or is dangerous.