Housing New Zealand is a statutory corporation set up under the Housing Corporation Act 1974, as amended by the Housing Corporation Amendment Act 2001. It is a Crown agency under the Crown Entities Act 2004.
The Ministers of Housing and Finance convey the Government's expectations to Housing New Zealand and monitor its performance.
The Minister of Housing has the primary relationship with the Board, while the Minister of Finance is responsible for approving borrowing. They are jointly responsible for our financial performance, and appoint members to the Board.
Each year the Minister of Housing tables in Parliament our Statement of Intent. This outlines objectives and planned work for the year, and is also used to measure our performance.
The Minister of Housing receives performance monitoring reports every quarter. We table an Annual Report to Parliament on our performance.
The Board is our link with the Government. The Board's responsibilities include setting strategic direction, appointing the Chief Executive, monitoring performance and ensuring compliance with the law.
The Board is made up of five non-executive members, who are appointed for up to three years with the possibility of further reappointment.
The Board members are:
- Alan Jackson (Chairman)
- Adrienne Young-Cooper (Deputy Chair)
- Susan Paterson
- Whaimutu Dewes
- Enid Ratahi-Pryor
Glen Sowry is the Chief Executive of Housing New Zealand. He is supported by an Executive Team who are:
- Kay Read, General Manager Tenancy Services
- Sean Bignell, General Manager Asset Development
- Greg Groufsky, General Manager Governance and Assurance
- Kathleen Clement, General Manager Sector and Stakeholder
- Philippa Jones, General Manager Organisational Development and Planning
- Shane Hamill, Acting Chief Information Officer
- Scott Scoullar, Chief Financial Officer