We provide high quality, subsidised rental homes to people in the greatest need for the duration of their need.
What we do
We focus on the efficient and effective management of state houses and the tenancies of those living in them.
We own or manage around 69,000 properties nationwide, including about 1,500 houses for community groups providing residential services. More than 200,000 people live in our houses or flats. It isn’t just about getting a roof over people’s heads, we also work closely with others to ensure our tenants have access to the good support services.
In addition to being a social housing provider, we also offer several affordable housing products – like Welcome Home Loans and the KiwiSaver first-home deposit subsidy - that make it easier for people to buy their own homes.
Our Customer Services Centre (freephone 0800 801 601) provides national coverage 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday for all enquiries and 24/7 for urgent calls. Our trained housing advisors provide a range of services and answer most questions on the spot.
Services provided at the Customer Services Centre include:
- getting a state house or flat repaired
- checking a tenant’s account
- lodging complaints and providing feedback
- answering questions about damage and rental debts and credits
- getting in touch with organisations which can help a tenant with other issues
Our housing advisors have access to extensive information databases.
The rest of our frontline staff operate from a combination of local Housing New Zealand offices and shared space offices located in facilities provided by other organisations, such as Community Links or Heartland Centres.
Specialist teams deal with issues such as debt and Tenancy Tribunal matters.
Directing routine calls to the Customer Services Centre and support from the specialist teams, combined with increasing use of mobile technology, frees up Housing New Zealand’s tenancy managers to spend more time in the community, dealing with more complex issues for tenants.
We work alongside a wide variety of community and private sector organisations that also provide social housing such as:
- the Social Housing Unit (SHU) in MBIE, which provides funding to stimulate the growth of other social housing providers.
- the Ministry of Social Development, which assesses housing need, administers income-related rents for social housing tenants, delivers other social services, and provides accommodation support to people in need living in the private sector.
- the Ministry of Health and district health boards which provide health services to our tenants.
- the police and local councils to promote safer communities in areas where we have a large presence, and to develop communities that we support
As the biggest residential property owner in New Zealand, our relationships extend across the public and private sectors, and our operations provide employment and commercial opportunities to many people and businesses.
Forms / Applications
Find forms and applications currently available online such as the FirstHome application form, Income related rent forms and Automatic payments form.See all forms and applications...
Our research group provides information on housing and housing services to the Minister of Housing, other government agencies and other Housing New Zealand business groups.Research publications